Saturday, December 15, 2007

Queen Street Wan Ton Mee

Few weeks ago, i came across this book in Borders that list out all the best hawker food in Penang. Yesterday i took an effort to go hunt down one of them, Queen Street Wan Ton Mee. I knew Queen Street is somewhere in the Little India. Must be next to King Street!! There's only one kopitiam there but i don't see any Wan Ton Mee. I parked my car and went searching for the famous Wan Ton Mee stall. I was looking at the front of the kopitiam and I spotted the usual hawker food like Char Koay Teow, Koay Teow T'ng, Hockkien Prawn Mee and etc. Where's the Wan Ton Mee? Then i saw it. It was situated at the side of the kopitiam. If you don't walk to the side, you can never see it.

I expect that stall to be crowded but to my surprise, the uncle was sitting there drinking kopi. So i ordered the normal dry wan ton mee. I expect it to cost around rm4-5 since it was listed as Penang Famous Hawker Stall but it caught me by surprise when it only cost rm 2.70.

The
Wan Ton Mee looks normal. Soya Sauce with char siew mix mix a bit of sambal. 3 wan ton, kailan and some chopped spring onion. Nothing special.

When i started eating, woahh...the aroma of Wan Ton Mee filled my nostrils. Seriously it smells good. I took the first bite. The moment I tasted it, it deserved to be listed as one of the Penang Famous Wan Ton Mee. It is not oily but the sambal is very salty. So if you go eat, don't ask for sambal.

Here's a map that can lead you to Queen Street but you need to find the stall once you reach there.


Thanks wikimapia for the map.

1 comment:

runawaycat said...

Haha! I never thought about Queen St must be next to King St :P Wah you say so good I must go try d la